Diary of Covid-19 - Tuesday 24th March 2020

It sounds like a lot of people have already thought of the idea of diarising or blogging their journey of Covid-19 as all the obvious domains had gone - so I have done the best I can.

Today is the first official day of real social distancing and it is earrily quiet. I received a new washing up bowl by Royal Mail  - the first post I have had in a week. I asked the postman about receiving any actual letters to which he replied, 'you'll be lucky, we are incredibly short staffed, you'll have to go to the depot', which begs the question of avoiding any unneccesary social contact and defeats the object of social distancing.

Later on I saw the police - I asked them if they were there to enforce the new social isolation rules that came out last night, but they said they were just there to break up gatherings of people, not to enforce rules.....yet.

We are allowed to go out for exercise - either alone, or with one family member once a day, we are allowed to go out to the pharmcy and to the food shops for essential items. Other than that all other shops (except the post office) are to be shut and no trading is allowed since the governement have made arrangements to pay staff, where possible (or 80% of wages).

My hands are so sore. I have never had hands that looked so wrinkled like prunes and with some level of contact dermatitis. I don't garden as I am unable to physically manage it, and it is due to all the handwashing. I have never used to much hand creams as I am doing at the moment, me and everyone else.

I am in total isolation, as Iive alone, so I was delighted to speak to my next door neighbour over the trellis fence- so we could see each other, but were two meters away from each other (social distancing).

The sun is shining and it was good to be able to sit and read in the garden and enjoy the warmth of the sun, and look at the blue, blue sky. Everything is growing like mad. My grass badly needs cuttng but not sure of whether I can get my gardener to do it.

My hair is due to be cut and coloured next week - but again, not sure that will be allowed.

I spoke to my mum as I have been doing every day -  I tried (as her friends have been too) to tell her not to go shopping unless it is vital and to use what she has.  She will have to learn to do online shopping.

Her neighbours are presently stuck in Aukland, New Zealand. I don't know how and when they will get back.

I think my sister is OK and my niece and nephew. My sister's partner taught my nephew how to make pasta yesterday, and today there is a picture of them out with their beautiful golden labrador who looks like he is flying into the canal, it is a super picture.

Meanwhile, it is taking far too long to get the NHS staff the right safety clothing for them to wear - this is a disgrace. We should be making every attempt to protect them against this 'invisible virus' as much as possible.

I am going to do some of my French practise in a minute.

Until tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Statistics, symptoms and shopping queues

Loss of looks, but there is beauty everywhere