New Nightingale Hospital Opens

Today Prince Charles opened the new Nightingale Hospital which is the former Excel building build for the Olympics. It is going take up to 4000 patients at full capacity. There are other smaller 'Nightingale' hospitals in Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow and Belfast. Given that we have lost so many hospital beds after ten years of austerity due to a Tory Government, I am not sure why, after Covid-19 is over, these hospitals couldn't remain open to take up all those beds we have lost, to help the other hospitals which are so constantly running at well above 85% capacity. In fact, as I know only too well, it is usually one out of bed, one in because the hospitals are really at 100%. Anyway, just an idea - although who would staff these hospitals if they continued - and they are really ITU facilities, rather than general medical or surgical wards.

I have been making changes to my support staff (my cleaner and my carer) because my carer has been off for a few weeks now, so as of today my cleaner washed and dried my hair (although we did this over the bath rather than me being in it as normal) and she did a great job with my hair. The rest of the time today she used to do some more cleaning, but next week she'll need to help me with my tablets - so it gives her a bit of extra work since my cleaner has lost some whilst families are at home, and I have lost the support of my carer - so it is a win-win situation for me.

Yesterday I was really not good - extremely fatigued and had really horrible dream. I was in and out of bed about 3 x - but forced myself to mask up and pop out since I needed to get masks for my cleaner and to get a lot of cash out to pay everyone. Tomorrow I have asked my gardener to come - he'll be far away from me so we don't have to worry about social isolation and he'll have to make his own coffees - but on Sunday we are expecting a heatwave, so to have the grass cut and the garden tidied will be lovely.

I keep connecting with friends as much as possible by Facebook or private message and or by phone. Everyone is coping amazingly well and observing the 2 metre social distancing when out shopping.

At 8pm last night we all clapped an applause for our amazing NHS and keyworker staff. This happens every Thursday at 8pm. It as a small way of thanks.

As well as all that, I finally got a load of post this week - just as well as it had been over 2 weeks. A lot of postmen are off sick.

Nobody is going to come out of all of this unscarred in some ways. I feel terribly sorry for all of those trying so hard to get the horrible Universal Credit. Now they can see what a challenge it is to deal with the DWP. But hopefully they are also getting more staff in to help with this huge surge in demend. God knows what our country will all look like financially when this is all over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diary of Covid-19 - Tuesday 24th March 2020

Statistics, symptoms and shopping queues

Out of sorts